Sunday, August 21, 2011

Self-Imposed Idleness at Kopan Monastery

Note: I’ll begin a new album, “Nepal: Another 25 Days,” as soon as I can!

Day 0: Arrival at Kopan Monastery

For the third day in a row, I let myself sleep in after my alarm went off. And I followed my usual routine: wake up, dress, wander out for breakfast and internet; return, wash up, read my book. Today, though, the routine broke here. I packed up all my things and paid my hotel bill (about $20 per night, if you include the tip I left), then caught a taxi up to Kopan Monastery, about a twenty minute ride to the outskirts of Kathmandu, and up a steep hill. Everywhere we saw celebrations, because today is Krishna Astami, the Hindu celebration of Krishna’s birthday.

IMG_7432I arrived, checked in and after dropping off my things, just wandered around the grounds. There are meditation halls and a library, several different areas for guests to stay (from shared rooms to singles and doubles), a fountain, a hilltop to view the surrounding valley, Buddha statues and gumpas, a dining hall, and a store which is also a small café and computer area. Of course, there’s a school on the grounds, too. There are over three hundred monks of various ages who live and learn and pray here. Nearby is a nunnery with over three hundred women, too.

So what will I do here? I am forcing myself to relax and just be. There is a meditation class every morning, so I plan to attend that, but otherwise my time is my own. There are three simple meals and a tea time at the dining hall. Dinner tonight was a vegetable soup and pita bread, with peanut butter or marmalade or butter to choose from. Simple, but delicious and filling. I hope all IMG_7445the meals are so nice! I’ve written out a general schedule for myself to stick to for the next four or five days, which includes stretching three times a day. My general hope for my time here is to breathe a little, relax, think about some of the things that I haven’t really let myself fully consider and feel the things I definitely have pushed aside. I have two books to read and there are plenty of places to walk to and around here.

I’ve already met a nice Swedish couple, young travelers who have been WWOOFing in India and Nepal for the last eight months. There are several Westerners here, doing individual courses of study or, like me, taking the opportunity to just be and to relax.

Mostly, I hope to center myself a little bit.

--Z

No comments:

Post a Comment