Saturday, March 16, 2024

Saturday Grumps Reset

Today I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Well, not really, I almost always sleep on the same side of my bed, but you know what I mean. Groggy and grumpy, even a dog-walk with friend T and dog-friend M didn't lift my spirits. After a 45-minute session with my myotherapist, however, I felt, literally, reset. 

It's a 5 block walk in 90-degree weather with 53% humidity, so one would think this would set the grumps right back on track, but it really didn't. Maybe because it's cloudy so the heat didn't feel like laser beams on my skin? In any case, I felt a bit lighter on the walk home, which let me see some fun street scenes. I didn't take pictures, but here's what I saw, and enjoyed seeing: 

Two shirtless Cambodia men, older with slight paunches, sitting on small plastic chairs under an umbrella, playing chess with pieces that were quite tall. 

A coffee stand surrounded by and filled with plants, giving a very verdant vibe, with a sign next to the cash register that said “Life won’t sparkle until you do" among other motivational posters. 

A Cambodian woman, covered from head to toe with floppy hat, long sleeves, gloves, pants, socks, and shoes, sitting on her parked moto with three similarly dressed little girls behind her, all intently watching a shirtless Cambodian man water plants with a hose. 

Two hopeful tuk-tuk drivers leaning towards me as they were driving past, asking, "Tuk-tuk madame?" without slowing their speed, smiling slightly when I shook my head. 


It's funny how just observing the world around me in the moment can be so pleasing. It's easy to forget to get out of my own head, out of my own way, so that I can do this more. 

1 comment:

  1. Your descriptions are vivid pictures! Took me right back to delightful Phnom Penh. So glad you found such a perceptive way to banish your grumps.

    ReplyDelete