Sunday, September 19, 2021

A Bike Ride in Foreign Lands

Dear reader, 

It happens from time to time, where I plan to have a relaxing weekend and one or two outings, and then ... I overdo it. On Saturday, things went according to plan: up early to go to the local market with two friends, which was very interesting and incredibly hot. Then I actually did relax a bit, between putting things away in my apartment. Did I mention that last Wednesday, my household effects arrived? Yeah - they did, and it occurred me to me anew that it's high time to become a minimalist. Ha! Also, I hadn't realized just how much stuff came with me from Mali... 

Anyway, after a day of relaxing, I went to dinner at a French-Cambodian restaurant called Wat Damnak, which is walkable from my home. Joined by three friends, I enjoyed a 7-course plant-based meal and a bottle of German pinot noir in a pleasant outdoor courtyard. Afterwards, I walked home and went straight up to the rooftop floor to soak my feet in the pool and listen to the city. What a great Saturday!



Today, I woke up early, ready to go on a group bike ride (my bicycle arrived with my HHE), but it was raining and I decided that no, this was not the day to go cruising in the wet. Instead, I had breakfast with neighbors at a nearby cafe, then returned to arranging my apartment: this time, it was sorting all my books and schlepping them to the various bookshelves. After two hours, the rain had cleared and while clouds remained, that cut down on the heat. So two neighbors and I headed out on bicycles. 

Four hours and 21.8 miles later, we had ridden three ferries, gotten rained on, visited two temples and suffered lower legs covered in mud spatters. We biked on dirt roads and through puddles, passed and were passed by motos, tuktuks, and exhaust-spewing trucks, and weaved among potholes and pedestrians. 

After showering and taking a breath, I met a friend down the street for a light snack and catch-up chat. Then, legs wobbling and body aching, I canceled my dinner plans, ordered out, and parked myself on my couch. And with that, I leave you with the below photos, because I'm exhausted. 

 

Some interesting statues invited
participation at a temple grounds. 

Silk Island park had some freshly painted statues
of various animals. It also had live animals,
including peacocks, hornbills, porcupines, and a crocodile.
That last was the saddest, because it was in a cage maybe
three times its size - which was huge.

Two sizable pigs on the ferry, on their way to... a 
happier life, perhaps? Probably not.

Our rest stop had this gorgeous
walkway, flowers and vines dangling.

Our rest stop view.

The ferry ride back to Phnom Penh and its skyline.
Our bikes are there on the railing - we climbed up to
catch the breeze and enjoy the final ferry ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment