Saturday, August 7, 2021

Counting Down, Again

It's that time again... time to move to a new country. I've done this twice before with the State Department, and moved from one U.S. state to six times before that. And every time, I feel panicked in the months leading up to the move; confident in the week leading up to the move; and then calmly wondering what I've forgotten in the last few days leading up to the move. 

This time around has been no different, and I am now in the "last few days before the move" period. 

The pre-move bumps have happened and been, if not resolved, at least accepted. My best friend and companion, Jacques, won't be coming with me right away because I can't find an airline solution to getting him there. That's bump one. Bump two was when the shipping company that was going to send 250lbs of my 'stuff' by air, e-mailed me to say that my shipment had been "lost." I have started the claims process with them and with my insurance company as well; and have been shopping for some of the replaceable items in the meantime. 

Is there a third bump in the road? I hope not. I'm both excited - new job doing work I love; new country that is fascinating and beautiful; new people to meet and food to eat - and anxious - COVID; new responsibilities; being so very far from home. It's a healthy mix... right?!

My pre-travel COVID test is scheduled, my suitcases are ready to be packed, and I'm spending good quality time with my parents and Jacques. I visited both grandmothers and other family, and a few friends in the meantime. 

Now to wait and see what travel bumps and rewards await!

 


1 comment:

  1. I’ve cherished this past year with you and Jacques. And now I’m about to follow your new adventure once again. Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete