Saturday, March 19, 2016

Tick, Tock

The days and hours and minutes are counting down until I arrive in Mali. The last week has been fantastic and stressful and nerve-wracking and exciting. Plus about ten other emotions. I can't imagine how people do this completely by themselves. My parents have been with me since last weekend and are such an incredible support network. It's amazing how lucky I am to have them! From helping solve minor freak-outs (where are my passports?!) to giving moral support during a very stressful pack out of my household goods, from coming with me to bid farewell to mentors and friends to finishing up last-minute chores... they're here for me.

We talk about the mundane, we sing, we cook, we squabble. Life is good. It will be heart-wrenching to leave them at the airport and fly away, even though it's the beginning of a new chapter that we're all excited about.

Mom, dad - thanks for all you have done and are doing. You're incredibly special people.

--Z

1 comment:

  1. And we had a wonderful time being with you through the last adventures in DC. Thanks for including us. We especially enjoyed spending time with your friends, colleagues, and mentor - what an amazing array of people!

    ReplyDelete