Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Swallowing the Sun, Containing the Crazy

 

When the sun is shining and it’s not too cold out (read: under 65), I like to close my eyes and face the sun. I feel like a sunflower. I feel like I’m swallowing the sunshine. Standing there, wherever I am, and just soaking it in, the essence of sunshine, it feels as though a thirst has been slaked. Seriously it satisfies me in a way few other things can.

Aside from picking the warm parts of recent days to swallow the sun, I work on either ignoring or containing my spinning gyroscope of craziness. That is, my brain and it’s refusal to focus, settle, relax or stop popping neurons. To be honest, it’s exhausting sometimes. On the other hand, if we’re being honest… I bring it on myself. *sigh*

It’s T minus 8 days until I leave for Sri Lanka. For the most part the trip isn’t causing too much stress, although there are a few factors making my brainwaves spike. One of those is the fact that FlyDubai, with whom I’ve booked a flight from Istanbul to Colombo via Dubai, as well as a return flight following the same path in reverse, has decided to change and then cancel my return flight. I cannot get an agent to answer their customer service line – yes, it’s in Dubai, so I use Skype credit to call - or my e-mails. While I’ve made an effort to not panic since I can discuss it at their desk in Istanbul when I check in for the first flight over, it’s still niggling in the back of my skull. Today, thankfully, a second stressor was relieved: getting malaria pills. My insurance won’t cover it unless, and I’m absolutely serious, I’m diagnosed with malaria. Fortunately, an alternative option in the form of a fellow traveler from another country worked out, so I will not be out the $350 it would have cost me.

Anyway, packing goes well and preparation in general is on schedule!

Last week I dashed up to DC to apartment hunt and, with the help of my good friend Sarah, whose couch is the most comfy in the world, and my cousins Rick and Ellen, I’ve narrowed down the areas I’d most like to live in. Upon my return from Sri Lanka, and after a few days of R&R with the folks in Durham, I’ll return and hunt and find a place, call the movers to pick up my stuff, and hopefully be moved in and settled by July 2, when the NOAA job begins.

The NOAA job, being a government job, comes with a thousand and one decisions to make and thus two thousand and one forms to fill out prior to that first day. Three dozen health insurance options, vision and dental plans, life insurance, TSP, and on and on.

Life is good. Life is crazy. My mental processes are screaming along at warp speed around a racecar track, never finding the finish line.

G’night.

1 comment: